Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Can English Copywriters come from the Middle East?


Having worked as a freelance copywriter for several years, it still astounds me when I meet certain Western clients who are suspicious of my writing abilities due to my Lebanese descent.

The worst is when, upon meeting me in person, they ask: "So, where are you from?" How can my nationality possibly matter?! In any case, is there still so much ignorance rampant so as to even consider that English is only properly taught in Western nations?

Born in Beirut, I was enrolled in American schools for my entire scholastic training which rendered English as my mother tongue. I learnt Arabic as a second language when I turned 6.

Ultimately, my experience with said clients has been frustrating, to say the least. If any fellow writers out there have faced similar discrimination, I would advise them to shrug it off and trust in their own abilities. The idea that only certain nationalities are capable or producing English copy is preposterous and should be quelled immediately! After all, everyone knows I speak London very best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment